Just a quick update … as of yesterday (Saturday) the Norton was pretty much all bolted together, except for the top end that is. The rear end is all complete, rear wheel, brake, speedo drive all in and working, lower engine, gearbox, primary cases and chains all bolted together and changing gear, foot rests and pedals all on and connected,
I have had two problems of my own making, through choices I have made on how I want the finished bike to look, and go! the first headache has been the choice of BSA B50 piston and Norton model 50 alloy head. even with a 3/16th spacer under the barrel, the piston still hits the head. But the barrel is bored out to 84mm, so I either needed to find a piston with a flatter crown, or get the barrel sleeved down to standard again, and use a normal Norton flat top.
After digging around and talking to a few friends, I managed to get a Vincent piston of the right size, it only has a very shallow dome, so cleared the head, but the skirt hit the flywheel, so it has had to be shortened just a little, but it does now all fit. but that is not the end of the issue, now I need to find or make some new barrel studs, because these are now too short!
Norton oil Tank as found
The other problem is that damn oil tank!
Again this all comes down to the “look” that I am after, but now the whole engine gearbox assembly is bolted in the frame, I find that the main oil outlet at the bottom of the tank is obscured by the gearbox adjuster bracket, so I now have to risk ruining the new paint by getting a new outlet tig welded in. my fault again, because you should always do a dry build first before getting the paint done!
Norton oil tank now..
So now I am waiting on some studs, valves, and my magneto, and it may well be fired up.
It will be five years in the making next month!!